The Incorporated Masterbuilders Association of Jamaica

(876) 929-8580 /926-8942 |
The Incorporated Masterbuilders Association of Jamaica

I need to do an extension to my house, how do I go about it?

  1. Engage the services of an architect or competent draughtsman
  2. Get building approval from the KSAC or Parish Council.
  3. Obtain at least two quotations from competent builders to ensure that the price to do the work is competitive.
  4. Enter into a written contractual agreement before the commencement of any building works.
  5. Contract documents are available at a cost from IMAJ.

Do you measure and price construction work done by a contractor for him to be paid?

  • No. The services of a Quantity Surveyor are recommended.

My concrete roof is leaking, how do I fix the problem?

  1. A concrete roof slab will leak when it rains if it is not properly waterproofed.
  2. Obtain the services of a competent roofing contractor who specializes in water proofing concrete roof slabs.

How much does it cost to build a house at today’s rate?

  • A budgetary cost to construct a house at today’s rate is about $6,500 to $7,000 per sq. ft.

What are the current labour rates in the construction industry?

  • A Construction Manual containing a list of labour rates intended to be used as a guide for the rates paid in the construction industry is available for a fee at the IMAJ.

How do you measure the floor area of a building from the drawings?

  • Ask the Architect / Draughtsman or Quantity Surveyor to calculate the floor area from the Plan.

How do you quantify the amount of material needed for a building?

  • Ask a Quantity Surveyor or competent Builder to do so.

What is the cost to prepare a set of Building drawings for approval by the KSAC or Parish Council?

  • This cost is usually negotiated with the Architect or Draughtsman.

How much does it cost to submit a set of Building drawings to the KSAC or Parish Council for approval?

  • This is determined by the KSAC or Parish Council and it is based on the floor area of the building.