I need to do an extension to my house, how do I go about it?
- Engage the services of an architect or competent draughtsman
- Get building approval from the KSAC or Parish Council.
- Obtain at least two quotations from competent builders to ensure that the price to do the work is competitive.
- Enter into a written contractual agreement before the commencement of any building works.
- Contract documents are available at a cost from IMAJ.
Do you measure and price construction work done by a contractor for him to be paid?
- No. The services of a Quantity Surveyor are recommended.
My concrete roof is leaking, how do I fix the problem?
- A concrete roof slab will leak when it rains if it is not properly waterproofed.
- Obtain the services of a competent roofing contractor who specializes in water proofing concrete roof slabs.
How much does it cost to build a house at today’s rate?
- A budgetary cost to construct a house at today’s rate is about $6,500 to $7,000 per sq. ft.
What are the current labour rates in the construction industry?
- A Construction Manual containing a list of labour rates intended to be used as a guide for the rates paid in the construction industry is available for a fee at the IMAJ.
How do you measure the floor area of a building from the drawings?
- Ask the Architect / Draughtsman or Quantity Surveyor to calculate the floor area from the Plan.
How do you quantify the amount of material needed for a building?
- Ask a Quantity Surveyor or competent Builder to do so.
What is the cost to prepare a set of Building drawings for approval by the KSAC or Parish Council?
- This cost is usually negotiated with the Architect or Draughtsman.
How much does it cost to submit a set of Building drawings to the KSAC or Parish Council for approval?
- This is determined by the KSAC or Parish Council and it is based on the floor area of the building.